Jeff Sterlin Compas Scholarship Fund
This scholarship fund was created in memory of Jeff Sterlin Compas, our beloved friend, who passed away in January 2015. Jeff had grown up in the Saintard children's home and was currently attending university in the Dominican Republic, studying Tourism and Hotel Management. Jeff was completing his first year of university when he suddenly passed away.
In his memory, the Fund serves to financially assist young Haitians to pursue post-secondary education in Haiti at either the University or Professional school level. The Fund provides financial assistance for the duration of the degree or program which the student would pursue, providing that the student’s grades are in good standing order. The funding would include tuition, books and transportation up to 95% of the total cost.
Jeff's love of learning and his desire to improve his life as well as those of other Haitians has been an inspiration. We at Children of Hope Haiti are so proud to follow his dream.
Jeff Sterlin Compas - 1989-2015
There are several eligibility criteria which must be met before an applicant can apply to the Scholarship Fund. They are as follows:
- The applicant cannot be older than 20 years or have been in school more than 13 years (Primary 1 to Philo). If older than 20 years,
the applicant would need a letter from their current school specifying the year they started Primary 1.
- The applicant must have achieved an 80% in Philo (1350/1700) to apply for a University program. The applicant may have achieved a 70% in Rheto (1200/1700) or Philo in order to apply for Professional school. If the student is currently in school during the
application process and cannot provide their final marks, there must be fair assurance that these marks can be achieved.
- Three references are required: 1) director of their current school 2) Pastor and 3) teacher of their current school.
- The applicant must have thoroughly researched the program they wish to enroll in and whether they can meet the requirements of
the specific post-secondary institution where they wish to attend.
- The applicant must write a French essay explaining why they wish to pursue these goals.
- The applicant must provide us with a medical certification form signed by a qualified person ensuring us he/she is in good health.
Application forms must be completed in French. The application forms must be submitted by January/February of each year in order for the applicant to be interviewed during the month of March. The successful applicants would commence their post-secondary education by September/October of that year.
The four scholarship recipients are registered in a university-level Nursing program.
If you are interested in donating to the Jeff Sterlin Compas Scholarship Fund, please click on the "donate" button below:
Students who have received the Scholarship Fund in 2016 - 2018